August 21, 2008

ANCHORing the Mind

Today, I was sitting in the office and listening to some music on-line, cherishing my memories of my childhood. I recollected that day, when I had been to on a boat for the first time in my life. It was in alibaug. My dad was visiting his closest friend, Pansare Uncle, at his native place in alibaug. They have a beautiful farmhouse and verdant vegetation spread beyond their courtyard. I believe, it was just after ganapati festival. We were flying kites and had loads of fun. Then Pansare uncle took us to a the nearby wharf.

Water at the wharf was amazingly placid that day. The breeze was gentle. Seagulls floating in the air. Pansare uncle introduced me to one of his friends, who owned a motorboat. I wished for a boat ride and my wish was granted instantly. I jumped in the boat and we (my dad, unc pansare and me) took a lovely ride in the sea. Then the boat owner started educating me about the mechanics of the boat. He told me how important the anchor is to a boat!

But today, I realised its metaphorical meaning when I apply it to my life.The anchor is of no use during the journey over the water. But the moment you dock on, you need to anchor the boat. Else the precious boat will be carried away by the tidal waves. When you apply this principle to your life, you will observe, your mind is just like that boat. Till the time we have a guru in life, we continue our journey of life in conquest. The moment we have a guru, conquest ends and quest starts. A quest to know the purpose of our life and the eternally unanswered question "I wonder WHO I AM?" To get the answers for such esoteric questions we need to dock our minds safely in the harbor called self. If our mind is the symbolic of a boat then, the self is the dock where you anchor on! This anchoring keeps the boat(read mind) steady.



You might have observed that when there is a low tide, the boat touches the ground & when there is a high-tide, the boat bouyantly floats on the water surface. Our mind too faces high and low tides. They are just the passing phases of life. When we are feeling very low, we need to go deep within and repose in ourself. This can happen only when we have anchored our mind to the self. Else the ebbing tide will carry the boat away from the dock! Often when we feel exuberant or on the top of the world, we let the high energy carry us away. We often overlook and take-for-granted certain aspects in life when we a bouyant with high energy. We need to contain this energy and rise up with that steadiness. Here again the anchor helps our mind to be steady.

As Sri Sri says, the whole day you be attached 100% to what ever you do but when you medidate or when you are with your self, you be detached 100%. Anchor your mind is being detached from the effects of tide!

Once you anchor your mind then it does not matter if its high tide or low tide, wether its a bright sunny day or there are fierce storms. You are Anchored!

Jai Gurudeva!


--
O.A.K. Tree

2 response:

RBK..!! said...

wow yar
sahi hai....

ANCHORING THE MIND IS REALLY ESSENTIAL SPECIALLY WHEN U R IN SEVA AND SADHANA!!!

Shweta Gumastedesai said...

really nice.... This post has really helped me clarify my vague idea of mind and meditation... keep going..

Jai Gurudev!!

Post a Comment