October 15, 2009

Turn down the volume...

An Advertisement shows Ranbir Kapoor asking the tele-viewers to do, this diwali, something never done before! That is turn down the volume by avoiding noisy crackers. I feel so proud that I have been doing this since last 14 years.

It makes an economic "non-sense" to buy noisy crackers and burn them down in matter of seconds. Now-a-days you can hardly buy any good crackers in Rs.1000/-. And what ever you buy in that amount can be burnt down in just two minutes. Wooooooshhhh... You money worth thousand rupees just vanishes in thin air... that too polluting it, making the air difficult, for the people with respiratory problems, to breath.

It happened exactly 14 years ago, when my dad had to sit at home because of the lock-out at the company dad worked at. No salary for one month. That too during diwali. We had to face very dire circumstances. My family had to live life with a very tight fist that month. Even the daily newspaper had to be stopped. That diwali, I decided not to buy any crackers, The money that had been kept aside for crackers, I used it to buy clothes. And asked dad to save the money that was to be spent on clothes to keep the family-fire burning. It was my first lesson on austerity. That diwali taught me a very precious lesson. You do not need riches to enjoy the moment. In fact, One needs nothing to enjoy the very moment. Because joy is the very essence of the moment.

Since then I have celebrated every Diwali by buying new gadgets, clothes, games CD etc. etc. but not the crackers. They simply cause noise and sound pollution. Its up to you to choose wisely what to do? Diwali is the festival of lights and celebration. Not a festival of cacophony and suffocation! If I can celebrate 14 Diwali's without bursting crackers. So can anyone! Finally its your decision... Isn't it?

Jai Gurudev.

0 response:

Post a Comment